Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I love the volunteers...

I have a very unique job. The people I work with don't have to be there. Their self-worth... their livelihood...their life goals are derived from other sources. They are volunteers, they are here because they want to be. They can leave any time they want, and for any reason they want. I think they are truly wonderful.

Any time you are dealing with groups of people there is a spectrum of respect and relationships. No matter how hard you work or how good you do your job at any given time 10% of the group doesn't like you and of that segment 10% of them are actively working against you. Conversely there is another 10% that thinks you walk on water and are actively promoting you whether you are aware of it or not. The thing is...I love all of 'em ... the ones that love me, the ones that hate me, and the majority in between.

I love that they don't want to sit at home and watch when they have the opportunity to participate. I love that they genuinely care about their community...and their neighbors...and their neighbor's cat. I love that they care enough about doing things with excellence, that they get angry when things don't meet their expectations...even when they are angry with me. I love that no matter how much we do, they want to do more.

I love that they come in all shapes, sizes, ages, backgrounds, abilities, preferences and personalities. I love that they show up and speak up and volunteer. I love the smart ones, the sweet ones, the sassy ones, the easy-going ones, the grumpy ones, the paranoid ones, the difficult ones, the quiet ones, the noisy ones, the compassionate ones, the curious ones, the nice ones, the nutty ones, the friendly ones, the feisty ones, the devoted ones, the demanding ones, the generous ones, the dramatic ones...and the other ones too. :-P

The national slogan for our program says that in a disaster there is a job for everyone. I love that when things go wrong...these are the people who will be coming along side, helping each other, helping our first responders, doing good and doing it well. I love the volunteers.

1 comment:

  1. My church in So Cal (before we moved) honors their volunteers with a "Voluntines Day" party of some kind. One year it was a prom-style dance in the gym-cafeteria where we met. Another year it was a skate party at a local rink where we raised money for relief in Haiti. This year (from which I will be absent) they are having a talent show. Love your posts, Kaydie.

    ReplyDelete