Valentine's Day is here. It used to be my favorite holiday. Those of you who know me now and know how romantically challenged I am might be surprised by this. But there was a time when I invested every dime in buying valentine cards for everyone I knew because it was THAT DAY...the one day of the year I could say I love you to everyone I cared about: family, friend, foe or stranger and by rite of the holiday there could be no objection. No one could complain that I was too sappy, too sentimental, too mushy, too touchy-feely, too whatever.
On Valentine's day I was empowered to release my inner adoration for the people that surround me and with impunity proclaim, " You now what? I love you and there ain't nothing you can do about it. So there! Happy Valentine's Day!" It was the day of the year I remembered out loud that love conquers all and I, by virtue of that truth, for one twenty-four hour period on the ides of February, was completely invincible.
On any other day of the year such expressions might be questioned, brushed aside, regarded suspiciously, or even disdained, but on Valentine's day any such protest is its own faux pas. You didn't have to be new loves, old loves, or even in love. It was a day I could lay all my cards on the table and reveal my hand as being all hearts and not get called for stacking the deck.
On February 15th I'll put my poker face back on and bluff again. I'm still crazy about you but I'll never let it show. I'll take the hand that's dealt to me, play it close to the vest, hedge my bets and quietly accrue my winnings. I will return to my natural state, lucky at cards, unlucky at love. But today is Valentine's Day and today YOU'RE MINE.
Great and loving post!!
ReplyDeleteWe need more of that in the world today.
Hearts and hugs!
Love it! And Love you! (and it ain't even Valentine's Day yet! ;o)
ReplyDelete